If you have a round face, the secret to a great hairstyle is to deflect the roundness of your face. In this photo gallery, I give you examples of great hairstyles for round faces, including shorter styles and cuts for all hair textures.Why this cut on Emma Stone works on her round face:
- Long hair is gorgeous on round faces because it lengthens the face. If you have a round face, your best cuts will fall a few inches below the chin and longer. Stone's cut skims her collarbone and "the ends aren't quite blunt or layered," says her hairstylist, Mara Roszak to Allure Magazine. Roszak snipped vertically into the bottom inch.
- Ask your stylist to cut in long layers with the shortest layer hitting at your earlobe or even lower. Short layers make a hairstyle appear dated and also add body to hair, which will make a round face appear rounder. You don't want that. Stone's layers start at her chin, and the longest ones are an inch from the bottom but they are blended in so well that you can't tell there are layers. "I cut into the ends of each layer to make them all blend together," Roszak told Allure.
- Long, sideswept bangs create angles on a round face. "We went for long bangs that hit around her cheekbone," says Roszak to Allure. "They angle down from there, which makes them fall nicely with the rest of her hair." Learn more about bangs in Best Bangs by Face Shape.
- Gentle waves deflect the roundness of the face, so if you have natural wave in your hair (as most women do), allow your hair to do its natural "thing." Scrunch hair as it dries so it retains some of its wave or help along the wave by wrapping hair around the barrel of a large curling iron as Stone's stylist did here.
- Roszak told Allure she wraps Stone's hair around a one-inch curling iron and then breaks up the waves by massaging in a dollop of pomade. You'll need a great curling iron to achieve this look even if you have wavy or curly hair. See my list of best curling irons.
- See "The Perfect Haircut on All Face Shapes" for more on rules for layering hair.
- To get this look see "The Secret to Sexy, Beachy Waves"